Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Subaru, the cost is just too high

Took my old Subaru in to the shop today to have it looked at due to the accident I was in last week. . . Got rear ended at the Braintree split. . . Anyway I figured OK, it needs an oil change while it is at it and the engine light is on so they can plug in the computer and tell me what is wrong.

To do an oil change and plug in the computer they want something like $130 bucks out of me ($95 just to plug in the computer and read the screen)! This is nuts. Then add in that they think the OX sensor is bad ($300+ to repair/replace) there is a leak near the axel ($350 to fix) the front blinker on one side is out ($80 to fix – it’s hard to get to) and they say I need new break pads ($350 to start) and they can’t tell me if the rotors are good until they resurface them. . . IF they are good why are you resurfacing them???

I want to warn anyone thinking about a Subaru to run away fast. If I had the money to dump this car and go get something else I would in a minute. I got this after my Dad passed, I didn’t pick it and I can tell you I will NEVER buy a Subaru for myself! I don’t know if I just got a lemon or if these guys at the dealer have a magic number they need to hit every time they see the car but I have yet to bring it in there when they haven’t found $1000+ worth of things I should pay them to fix. . . . what a rip off. As an engineer all I can say is this car is crap and the cost of ownership is way too high. I have owned GMs with much more mileage on them that don’t need this much fixing to keep running. . .

Update, just got home with the car, the front blinkers work fine, no problem, and the hazard lights they said work don't. . . . . . Never buy a Subaru folks, just say no

5 comments:

s_baghaii said...

sounds like you need to find a more competent mechanic

Deb Brewster said...

Have you ever considered a different shop? Some of those suggestions seem a bit off to me ...can't tell if the rotors are bad until they turn them...???

You made the point--why not try a different shop?

There are a lot of people out there that swear by their Subarus and they rank very high in reliability ratings. I own three and have no complaints what so ever about cost of ownership.

JD said...

Deb. . . I will be looking for another shop but I think they are the only dealer in the area and these days dealers have done a good job making sure the local guy can't read the computer or get some of the parts for them. By your profile it looks like you may work for the same place I keep getting worked over by. . . wouldn't happen to work at that dealer in Hanover on 53 would you??
Anyway, I will have to see if I can find a local shop. Just bums me out because I have always owned GMs and NEVER had this kind of issue with Ricky Smiths shop, they have been great, fix stuff fast and even remember our names when I am only in there once a year or so for inspections or an occasional bit of work. The difference between these dealers amazes me. My dad liked the Subaru which is how I got it but I can't see why. Of course he had the money to do all these fixes which may have helped. . ..

JD said...

I should also admit that I am partial to dealing with the dealer of the car. . . I always figured they "built" it so they would be best at fixing it. . .

Deb Brewster said...

Hi-- yes I do work in Hanover and I'm sorry you're having these issues. As I mentioned-- I own 3 subarus currently and while there is a cost associated with maintenance on any car I have not found the Subaru to be more costly than anything elso I've owned. I've actually found them quite trouble free--scheduled maintenance is all I've had to do.