Sunday, February 10, 2008

Monday Model

Thought I would try something different. A few of the blogs I read do gun photos on a weekly basis. Since they are doing guns already I thought I would do one of my other hobbies, models. Most of what I have built is Aircraft in 1/48 scale.

Here is the first one, the F4u Corsair:



This is the classic WWII fighter that is probably best know now from the old TV show Ba Ba Black Sheep or Black Sheep Squadron which was loosely about Pappy Boyington and his squadron in the pacific

She was one of the fastest fighters in the war, topping out at almost 420mph. Most were armed with six .50 cal machine guns, but one model had four 20 mm cannon instead. She started off as a carrier based plane but due to the long nose (you would loose sight of the carrier as you came in since the nose got in the way) they did not work out at first. Only after giving a bunch to the Brits who did figure out how to land on the carriers did they move back into that roll with the US


The bend in the wings is not just for looks, it is actually there to lift the plane up higher so it's huge prop would not dig into the dirt . . . .


I always love this bird. . . I hope you like the photos, I am sure I will get better at them as time goes on. I will post a new aircraft, one each week, and may throw in a few other things like Sci Fi or Armor too

No comments: