Monday, February 18, 2008

Monday Model


Today I thought I would post one of the lesser known aircraft of WWII the Nakajima A6M2-N This little known fighter is based off of the well known Zero that is so well known for its abilities.


They were not as good as the Zero due to the extra weight and drag of the floats but they worked great for forward or small bases that they were supporting. They also did ok as night fighters since they could work out of the small islands they could show up where folks weren't expecting them.


All in all this was a nice kit to build. I think one of the best parts of my quest for 1/48 scale WWII aircraft is the stuff you learn along the way. . . . I had never heard of the plain we called the "Rufe" until I found this model of it. Kind of impressive what they came up with for aircraft in Japan to deal with the way the war went in the Pacific. This is a nice answer to needing air support on small island without having to build air strips or keep a carrier near.







No comments: