Thursday, January 8, 2009

My Name is JD and I am a Geek

OK, I was just watching the Discovery Channel which currently has a program on on how they make stuff. They are talking about a new type of bullet "proof" glass.

This stuff will stop .50 cal and is better than all the others (so they say)

The secret? Aluminum Oxide in the glass. It is still clear with a slight tint.

As a geek the first thing I thought of was "OH COOL they made transparent aluminum"

If you know Star Trek 4 then you know what I mean. . . . .

Yes, I am such a geek. . . .

6 comments:

blogger said...

You scored the Trifecta:

1. You were watching Discovery Channel, instead of E!

2. You understand the Chemistry.

3. Then - and only then - did you think of Star Trek.

Me, too, brother - I'm watching "Planet Earth" with #2 Son.

TOTWTYTR said...

Can I join your geek boy club? Since Star Trek IV, I've often thought how great transparent aluminum would be. The applications in building and vehicle glass along would almost endless. No longer would thieves be able to break windows and steal our stuff.

Wonderful, we just need to wait 20 or so years until it's available commercially and cheap enough to afford.

blogger said...

Geek Boy party at JD's house!!

The Gunslinger said...

Dude! Even before you got there I was shouting...STAR TREK...Scotty shows the guys in 20th Century San Francisco how to make it!

Isn't that what they put the whale in??

Geekdom rules!

The Gunslinger said...

Ahem....Geek Girls, too!

JD said...

Gunslinger - Exactly "how do you know he didn't invent the stuff?"