Friday, January 16, 2009

Miracle Landing

Folks I am sure by now you have all heard about the A300 landing on the NYC Hudson River.

All I can say is I am amazed no one was killed or even badly hurt. Worst case I have heard of was a few broken bones. . . not bad considering. . ..

I think we have three main things to thank for this:
1 – The engineers of the A300 – it is my understanding they thought to put a button in the cockpit that with one push seals closed all the valves to the outside world helping to make the plane water tight. They also designed a plan that could float for a while if you didn’t open the back doors. Well done. Even though you are French we will give you an atta-boy for a job well done.
2 – The cabin crew who had the piece of mind to stick to their training and not open the back doors. They also got everyone out quickly and effectively onto the wings and rafts instead of the freezing water. . .
3 – Last and probably most important Capt. Chesley B. “Sully” Sullenberger who put this bus down on the water without flipping, cracking open or otherwise damaging this plane with no engines. This guy had the worlds biggest glider and he managed to land it on water in one piece. He then had the guts to stay with it and walk the plane twice to make sure everyone was out before he left the aircraft. Sir that shows guts! We could use a lot more folks like Capt. Sully in this world.

I also think a thank you is in order for the quick response of the boats in the area and the first responders. This event shows what Americans can do at there best. You all showed us what we can be if we would only live up to it. Thank you for your great example! Heroes one and all.

Update - I just heard that the pilot is former Air Force. Can I say NO SURPRISE? As soon as I heard what happened I said "any bets he is ex military?". Further proof that our guys are the best in uniform and after too. . .

No comments: