Friday, August 8, 2008

Reloading. . .

I don’t remember who’s blog was talking about starting to reload but thanks. I took a look at the presses that were mentioned in the comments and all I can say is “DAMN, I didn’t think they were that cheap!”

I have a friend here that is willing to teach me what he knows on reloading and with the cost of dies and such I may have to look into getting into it next year if I can come up with some cash for stuff. . .

I am still floored on how cheap it would be to get started. Now I am not talking anything fancy – just a single stage not one of them nice multi stage, one pull of the lever one bullet things but hey, for now that would be enough. I don’t get to the range near as often as I would like so that would work for me. I just need to be able to reload anything from .380 up to a .303 Brit rifle round. . . .

Has anyone bought from Midway? Are they good price wise? Any other suggestions???

I am going to have to dig more on this topic and set up some training time with my friend I think. . . .

4 comments:

doubletrouble said...

Hey JD-

Yeah, Midway’s a good place. There’s also Graf & Sons, & Natchez Shooting Supply (& MANY others). Order their catalogs- there’s a wealth of info in each big honkin’ one of ‘em.
That was Liberty, BTW, who was talking about starting in reloading. There’s good info in the comments there as well.
I’ve been loading on an RCBS Rock Chucker press for about 35 years, off & on. I don’t make monster quantities at any one time, so it works for me. I have it set up downstairs, & go knock off a few when I feel like it. Good way to whittle away the long winter evenings, as well.
At the price of ammo today, you’ll recoup the investment of a simple single stage set up fairly quickly.
All in all, it’s a fun gun thing, saves $$, & lets you make “plinkin” loads in big centerfire calibers.
Lemmeno if you need any assistance- glad to help!

Anonymous said...

About Midway USA. Yes, their prices are very competitive, but the best thing is if you have a Curio and Relic FFL, send it to them and they'll set you up a "dealer account" and you'll get the dealer discounts.

Some things it's just a buck or two but some things the savings can be significant.

Also, their customer service has always been wonderful for me.

TOTWTYTR said...

The only problem with Midway is that they will not sell ammunition or components to MA residents.

Which shouldn't include reloading equipment.

With a C&R, you will save on a lot of other stuff, though.

JD said...

totwtytr

Is there anyplace that will send in reloading stuff like the bullets and brass etc. to MA or do I have to find a local shop that will carry it? I doubt I can get much .303 stuff in a local shop.

Thanks

JD