Friday, July 25, 2008

Kids say the darndest things. . .

Marko’s story on his youngest talking reminded me of a story from when my oldest was just about 2 or 3 and was starting to decide she could speak her mind.

We were in a toy store and she had gone to play with the wooden train set. She loved them . Well anyway we had let her play with that while mom did her shopping. Once mom was done I went over and told her it was time to go home. Now not wanting to leave the toy train set she got rather upset about this and decided to ignore me. So I told her again it was time to go and went to grab her hand.

It was at this point that she got a really mad face and blurts out “NO, BAD DADDY!” and makes it clear she is not ready to go home yet. . . .

There were two college age kids in there shopping for whatever and the girl just broke out laughing. Of course I was already having a good chuckle at this myself as that is not exactly what you expect to hear from your 3 year old daughter. . . . .

As far as kids picking up bad words from me I did rather well. The only thing they got was “awe man” although when daughter #1 did it it was rather funny. I was working on fixing a ceiling light and had forgotten a tool on the ground so had to climb down again to get it. My wife was sitting talking to me holding my daughter who was probably 1 and change and just starting to talk.

Well, I realize the tool I need is out of reach and say “Awe Man” and state down the ladder. I hadn’t gotten down one step when this little voce goes “awe man” . . . . .

The wife and I agreed it was good I had not hit my finger with a hammer or something that may have taught her something more interesting. . . .

We still get a good laugh thinking about both of these.

No comments: