Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Cowboy Shoot

I spent Saturday down at the range observing a Cowboy Shoot. I have to say it looks like lots of fun and I think next year after I get some cash saved up I will see if I can get into it. The idea is kind of cool and I have a friend that is looking to get into it so I would not be the only new guy.

The basic idea is that you get four guns, two single action six shooters, a lever rifle and a shot gun. All must be of the kind you would find in the wild west of the late 1800’s or so. They set up different shooting stages where you have to shoot metal plates in a certain order with the guns and you are timed. Very simples idea, but a challenge when you actually see what you have to do.

To add to this you pick a western name and get dressed up in old west type outfits, complete with gun belts to play the part.

I have to say all the folks we met were really cool and had no problems answering our questions on what we needed to do to get into this. I also watched as an obviously new guy at this went through a few of the different stages. I was impressed as the range officer helped to walk him through it so he could learn the flow. We were warned that the first year you need to focus on getting the flow down, then worry about the speed later.

I think I will go for it if I can get the gear together to do it. Once again I am impressed with how nice the gun folks are to the new guy and more than willing to help him get into the sport.

No comments: