Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Lessons I still need to learn

Had an interesting class last night at Karate. It was just me and one other student (who is ratehr new) with the teacher. I managed to get mad at myself when I kept catching myself thinking critical things about this kid who is trying to learn Karate and has obvious balance issues.

Now I am sure he will get past them with the Karate if he sticks to it. You will may no end up with perfect balance from it but I have to think it will improve like any other ability with practice. . . Now if I can just keep reminding myself that I need to relax and just deal with my own issues ( I know I have plenty to work on) in class and stop thinking about what others are doing. . .

The other learning moment was that I am still doing everything like a Shotokan person not a Shohei person should. . . by that I mean that the new style is hard/soft and Shotokan is a very hard style. When going through drills with my teachers she pointed out how I don’t have the soft side of the style down and need to work on it (a lot. . .). Instead of the nice circular blocks I was doing a hard block/strike which is very Shotokan. Unlike the hard Shotokan style the Shohei style has soft almost Kung Fu like blocks then a hard strike follows up. . . Another day another lesson hopefully learned. . . now for a few years of practices so I can actually do it without thinking about it. . . .

No comments: