Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Some folks should not vote

Well, I went down to vote in our state primary yesterday. Figured since I am independent I would do my bit to vote against Kerry for the Dumocrat ticket. OK, yes, it felt really weird to vote for the Dems on anything. . . and no, this is MA so he won anyway even though he is useless. . . .

Anyway as I am standing in line to get a ballot the woman in front of me who looked to be in her mid 50’s gets to the table and they ask name, address and how you are voting (Green, Dem or Rep). She gets the first two right but can’t answer the how are you voting question. So they show her a ballot and she looks it over then asks “Where is McCain and Obama?” The poor folks running the table look at each other then at her and try to explain that the main election is not until November and this is a primary for the state only. . . . No good. . . . So they send her over to where they have the sample ballots posted on the wall for her to look at and tell her to come back when she knows which ballot she wants. . .

All I could think is “oh my God, and she will vote in November”. . . . sorry folks, but if you don’t know what election you are showing up for you should be deemed to dumb to vote and sent home. . . . I want to know what idiot decided that anyone over 18 was qualified to vote. . . there should be a test or something to make sure the voter at least has a clue. I am beginning to understand why only land owners voted in the old days, at least they had proven to have enough brains to earn the money to buy the land and not loose it doing something stupid . . . . and if they did loose it hey, they lost the vote too. . . .

3 comments:

Weer'd Beard said...

Yeah, overall I don't like any of this "Rock the Vote" or this new fad with tossing polling places in supermarkets. Voting should be easily done by nearly all Americans (and with minimal effort for those with special needs and handicaps) but anything done to further spoon-feed it to people will only be a detriment to the govenment we get.

JD said...

I wish I could blame Rock the Vote or something, but this women was no kid and should have known better. . . That just leaves me with she was uneducated about the vote so should not have been making a choice. . .

She could have been just stupid but I will give her the benefit of the doubt

John said...

The most depressing thing was last night in my district Kerry was the only one who was running with an opponent. The rest was a rubber stamp; can someone please give me a choice?