Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christmas Issues. . .

Now I don’t call myself Christian as I don’t go to church and all that stuff and don’t buy into most of Organized religion anyway. I say this because folks go nuts this time of year over Merry Christmas.

CHILL FOLKS

You know, I don’t care if you wish me a Merry Christmas, I will say “Thank You, You Too” and take it in the sense it was given. They are wishing me a good time, or that I and my family have a happy time or whatever . . . in short they are wishing me well. Why should I take this as a reason to dump on them?

All I can say is you Liberals need to get over it and learn to take a complement or good wishes for what they are, a wish that you are well. . ..

And in that vein I wonder about all these towns that won’t have a “Christmas” tree but still put up a tree. It becomes a “Holiday Tree” or a “Winter Tree” or a “Non-Denominational Holiday Shrub” or whatever. Well this has been on the radio and I decided to come up with some new names. Here are a few I thought of or heard used –

It’s not a Christmas Tree it’s a –
Winter Clear Cutting Victim
Holiday Clear Cutting Victim
Holiday Global Warming Contributor
Winter European Oppression Tree
Winter Deprive a Bird of a Home Tree
Holiday Fire Hazard.
Non-Denominational Holiday Shrub
Winter Symbol of White Christian European Centric Oppression of the World. . .

What do you think we should call it so as to not “offend” anyone?

And while I am on Christmas has anyone else noticed that at the end of the TV show "Rudolph the Red Noised Rain Deer" that they are tossing toys off the sleigh while airborne? Have you also noticed that the misfit toys get tossed? Did you notice that the only one not given a parachute was the Owl who was a misfit because he could not fly (he swims)? Poor Mr. Owl. . . I can see the North Pole news now "Owl plummets to death moments after rescue from Island of Misfit Toys - Elf faces charges in death - Film at Eleven"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a good friend that's an Orthodox Jew.

He has taught his Children to respond to wishes of "Merry Christmas" with a return of the same sentiment.

He freely acknowledges that this country is majority Christian and that it is not a sign of disrespect or intolerance to his religion, but is simply the commonly used holiday greeting in this country.

Those who are "offended" by such greetings must be very insecure in their beliefs if they feel they may be tainted by merely hearing such sentiments expressed.

BTW: I wish him and his family "Happy Hanukkah" and send them a Hanukkah card every year and don't consider it a threat to my evangelical Christian beliefs in the least.

JD said...

Sailorcurt - Why does that not surprise me? I think it is funny that the liberals scream for tolerance yet have none - and they say Conservatives have not tolerance yet it is usually the conservative that has the live and let live attitude. . .
It would be nice if the Liberals actually lived what they preached instead of giving the rest of us grief.

I also agree that if I have a friend that is Christian, Jew or Muslim or whatever and I know it I will try to wish them the proper holiday greetings as a show of respect for them, it has no effect on my relation with my greater/higher power. I feel it is all the same higher power, we just have different names for him/her/it but then we are just people trying to contemplate God.

zeeke42 said...

My college ham radio club puts Christmas lights on the antenna towers every year(I'm an alum, but I'm still on the email list). We've been referring to them jokingly as the "Non-Denominational Winter Solstice Illumination Devices" or NDWSIDs for years.