Tuesday, March 31, 2009

New Carry Gun part 2

OK, so I am still looking and gathering info on a new carry gun.

So since I have time I have been all over the net looking and reading reviews on the Para LDA, S&W M&P, and a bit on Glocks. I have also read a bit on the generic 1911 comments for carry.

I am a bit concerned about the double hammer idea on the Para LDA. Seems there is an internal and external hammer on it. . . will have to go see one. Caleb at Gun Nuts Media likes them so that is in the + column for me but I need to handle the gun to see if it will fit my hand. . .

I like the idea of a Glock but I would have to get a used 17 or 19 or such. The plus here is the possibility I can get Hi Cap mags for it.

I am leaning towards the M&P though in 9mm. Seems the 9 is a bit cheaper to shoot and I don't see any reports of a huge difference in stopping power if you can aim. . . . I don't mind that it is not Hi Cap here in MA as it would be a new gun and I can get a couple of mags free from S&W with the purchase right now. . . . It is also about $500 for a new one so I may be able to pick up one of these and a used shot gun for the house too. . . .

Then to top it all off I have been wanting a 1911 for a while now. Just the history and background of the gun and the .45 cal gets my attention. I will get one, just not sure if now is the time. . . .

I am planning a road trip up to Four Seasons this Saturday to go pick their brains on what they have and handle a few of the guns. I expect to get one Saturday and maybe a holster for it too. . .

I will post pics of what I get. . .

Then I will have to beg some range time from a friend or two local to me so I can get in some trigger time with it. . . .

Should be a good weekend for me = )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*puts a plug in for the Walther PPS*

9mm. Same capacity as a 1911 (or more, or less - 3 magazine sizes). 1 inch thick. Damn thing pretty much disappears with a good belt and holster. Interchangeable backstraps. No "Glock-'decock'".

The only drawback is a distinct lack of aftermarket accessories... like the aforementioned holster. They are out there, you just have to go digging.

Ambulance Driver said...

I dry-fired JR's (A Keyboard and a .45) Para .45 with the LDA trigger. It's the smoothest, lightest and crispest DA trigger pull I've ever seen. Doesn't feel like a DA trigger pull at all, in fact.