Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Range Report

Spent yesterday down at a friends range since mine is temporarily closed due to stupidity.

It was a good day. We started out getting my Dad’s Enfield sighted in. Now I usually use the black targets but my buddy convinced me to try the orange marked on. All I can say is WOW that was different. It was much easier to see where the hits were on the orange background as the holes show up as black. Within 15 rounds I had the new front sight lined up and the gun running well. It was only 50 yards away and iron sights but for the Enfield that is less than point blank if that is possible.

It was a great time.

I then moved on to the AR-15. It was off a bit on the windage but with a few clicks she was nice and centered too. She shoots a bit high at 50 yards but again for this rifle I expect that. The lowest setting is good out to 300 yards so you would expect it to be a few inches off at 50 yards. She was maybe two inches high at 50 yards. I may tweak this one more and zero it for 50 but I am not sure yet. Hey, it is an excuse to get to the range again for more “testing”.

= )

Anyway, I have to say I still LOVE the Lee Enfield. Mine has been “sporterized” meaning that the wood stock has been cut down so it looks like a normal sport/hunting rifle but she still takes the stripper clips and shoots nice and straight. I can see why the English Army liked this rifle so much. Talk about ability to reach out and touch someone. . . .

Anyway it was a great day even if a bit cold. I have yet to have a bad day at the range if that is even possible. . .

No comments: