Saturday, April 5, 2014

IDPA and Action Shooting

Took a class at my gun club last night on Actions Shooting. . .

It is their own version of IDPA with slight modifications to the program due to the safety rules at the club like no loaded weapons in holsters. . .

Anyway I must say I had a great time.  I tried a class from Boomstick Firearms a bit back that I talk about HERE and that got me started.

The goal of IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) is to practice real world skills you may need in a self defense situation in the real world.  Now it is still a sport and we don't want anyone to get hurt so there are limits to what we can do, but it is much more than just standing there shooting paper.

The biggest changes I noticed was shooting and moving and multiple targets.  The goal is not a perfect bulls-eye but to hit the "man" shaped target in the A or critical zone to score.  Again this is not for pinpoint accuracy but self defense accuracy.  They then did some moving forward and backwards while shooting.

Now some of this was familiar to me as I did a few years playing paint ball in my day which was also a great force on force way to train  . . . especially since many of the players I played with were either ex-military or cops. . .

Anyway I hope to go to a few of their training classes and see how it goes.  I may even try an event or two and see how I do on the score front.  No better way to fix my ego about thinking I can shoot than to do a competition or two with the experienced folks to show me how little I really know.

More later. . . but I think I may be hooked. . . .

1 comment:

Boston firearms training center said...

Good firearms class cover material in a thorough, step-by-step manner. Firearm training classes are very useful for beginners also as they starts with basics and build upon the lessons learned as they progress into more advanced lessons. It will help them to have less chance of any accident.