Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Dixie Stampede is Closed. . . .

This is quite the shock to me. One of the things I love about Country Music was the way they (the stars) seem to treat each other and the fans. Now I have only been listing to Country Music for a few years now but that was one of the biggest things that impressed me. Much like when I saw Meatloaf live and he came out at intermission to say to the crowd “Thank You for this job. I love it and could not do it without you” or something to that effect. It stuck with me as this guy is cool and know what is going on. Country music seems to be about the people, and about that old fashion Gentlemens Honor kind of stuff and the way we acted back in the old days when people took responsibility for themselves and there actions and this was a great place to live.

Well now it looks like Dolly Parton’s Dixie Stampede in Orlando FLA closed with no notice putting over a hundred folks out of work. There is only ones side of the story out so far but it seems that the workers were told in the morning things were fine, just rumors and by that afternoon it was closed, sold, and they were out of work. Go read the story yourself and please let me know if I missed something.

That bugs me. Ms. Parton I hope you will be doing something to help these folks that worked for you. I had something similar happen to me where my employer told us they were working to prevent lay offs then two weeks later fired hundreds of us and kept doing it every quarter for almost four years, going from 11,000 people world wide to about 3,500. They did what they had to but the way they lied to the workers really pissed me off. They showed time and time again how little they cared for us yet expected us to not quit or leave them. A VERY ones sided arrangement.

Well I can say that I did go to this show for Christmas a few years back and it was great! The kids, my wife and I all had a wonderful time and had planned on doing it again when in the area. Now I will have to rethink that. The show did well and they admit that in the story, this is all a money grab at the expense of the workers. They even talk of opening again in the area (how could they not with the tourist $$$$ there). If things really were done as badly as it looks then it will be a cold day in you know where before I spend money at a new Dixie Stampede. Business is Business and I am a capitalist at heart, but I believe as a business person you must have honor too. . . .You have to take care of your workers as they take care of your business. I will watch how this plays out as much as I can from up north, but if it looks like they really screwed over the folks working there as bad as it seems they did today then all I can say is shame on you Ms. Parton for being a part of this in any way. . . .

No comments: