Saturday, October 13, 2007

Wouldn't do it again

My oldest daughter went to her third dance at school this weekend and actually got up the nerve to ask this boy she liked (she won't say who) to dance and he said no. . . . She was understandably bummed when she told me about it.

I guess it took her all night to get up the nerve to ask him and he said no and sat down. I tried to tell her it was ok and she handled it well not calling him names like her friends told her to. . . . I then told her she was doing well getting the nerve to ask him to dance in only seventh grade. . . hell, I told her it took me to my junior year in high school to get up the nerve to ask a girl to dance so she was doing better than me. Hell, she may have scared the hell out of him I know I would have been spooked at that age if a girl asked me to dance. . . . Of course the fact that I can't dance factors into that. For me dancing looks more like a seizure than anything remotely like dancing but that is how it goes. . . .

This all reminded me of all the BS I went through in high school with girls. We use to be able to send a flower to someone as a fund raiser and they would get it in home room at the start of the day. I remember watching my friend get the carnation he gave a girl crushed and thrown at him in the middle of class when the girl caught up with him. . . at least the girl I gave one to just didn't bring it to the class we were both in. I did see her with it earlier in the day so I know she got it but at least she had the class not to trash me over it. . . Just made me respect her more but it was not to be as they say. . . .

Kids can be nice or cruel in middle and high school when it comes to "dating" and such stuff. All I can say is I am glad it is over for me and I would never want to repeat the experience. . . It is tough to be a geek in high school

No comments: