Saturday, June 11, 2011

How I became a gun nut

Well, all the popular kids are posting on how they became a gun nut . . . . so I figured I would throw out my not so exciting two cents:


I started shooting as a kid in probably 5th or 6th grade when dad got me an air rifle, one that you could pump up to 10 time to get some real power out of. I had a great time in the yard with that. Also took out a few squirrels that had been getting in the attic too. . . It was a lot of fun to shoot, rather accurate and a number of old plastic models met there end sitting on a stump to that gun. . .

In Boy Scouts my scout master was very pro 2A and took us all out shooting a few times with .22s. I even managed to earn the Rifle and Shotgun merit badge at summer camp.

After my Granddad passed I got his gun collection and my dad gave me his two rifles. I had just got my FID and this gave me a 22 and a few other things to shoot. For years that was all I had, and it seemed enough.

Fast forward a few years and I had joined a gun range shortly after getting married. Still had the same small collection of arms but it worked for the moment. When I got laid off from work I got plenty of warning so had another job lined up. This let me take the bit of severance I go and buy my first evil assault rifle, a WASA 10 and it was great. I started to look at cowboy shooting and that lead me to finally get a lever action I always wanted. . . . Next thing I know I am actually putting away a gun fund and thinking about the next purchase. . . .

About this time I discovered Blogs through Law Dog. From there I found JayG’s blog and started to really get sucked into the gun blogger world. Then I went to my first blogger shoot (Thanks JayG!). . . . and spent the day surrounded by these great folks, all armed, and all with all sorts of fun stuff to shoot. This got me really interested in the carry movement. I already had a carry permit but didn’t carry.

Well, I have to say that getting into the gunny movement has done a lot to make me a better person, at least I think so. As I got more and more into being a gun nut I realized how gun rights fit into all of our rights. It changed my view on a number of things like gay rights for example. I slowly shifted to seeing any limitation on gay rights as a limitation on rights period. I became more and more wrapped up in looking at what the Constitution actually said vs what the government was doing. And I became more of an independent Libertarian than anything else. . . .

In the end I became a gun nut, I now carry often, have purchased a number of guns myself, taught my kids to shoot and still keep thinking of what I want to get next. . . . I have also found I am much more interested in politics and where my town, state and country are going. I have found that being a gun nut pushes most people into being a patriot nut too and that is a good thing.

Every gun nut I have met has been a great person to know, friendly , eager to share their knowledge and let you try their guns. They are quick witted and smart, love their country, and are eager to help make it a better place if they can . . . almost the exact opposite of what the left portrays them as. . . funny how wrong the left is about these things.

My name is JD and I am a gun nut. . . .

No comments: