Thursday, November 29, 2007

The State is Mom, the State is Dad

So now we are looking at the possibility of passing a law here in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts on spanking. It seems that the state feels it is a better parent than you or I so it will tell us how we can raise our children. You see this is all to prevent child abuse – but we already have laws on the books to do that. . . . why don’t they work? And can you tell me how this will be detected? You going to come into my house and check if I am spanking my child? You going to ask my friends and neighbors to tell on me? Where does this end?


The states DSS is already behind on real cases of child abuse and kids slip through the cracks now. . . What will they do with thousands of new cases dumped on them to investigate dealing with spanking? And what happens to the parent who gets caught? They say it will not be a crime, you will get parenting classes . . . to me this sounds like a very slippery slope. Soon we really will live in a Nanny state.


But remember this, when the state rep. Jay Kaufman who is sponsoring the bill was asked in an interview if he ever spanked his child the answer was “None of Your Damn Business!” Who would answer that way if they had not spanked their kid? And who has the right to pass a law to check into your personal life when they admit you have no right to ask them the same question. Sounds like a big double standard to me. . . . and a good reason why this bill should never be allowed to see the light of day. Now lets kill this and move on to something important like bringing jobs back to our state.

No comments: