Monday, July 24, 2017

The Circle of Martial Arts


When I was a kid the first martial arts I learned were shooting and the use of a bow and arrow. 

As I got older I got into reading everything I could on Ninjitsu and other open hand martial arts.  In high school, I started playing with a bo and wooden swords along with some other Asian martial arts weapons.  And so it went.

When I went to college I let things drop for a bit as my studies got in the way of practice.. .

Once I got married I started to look at Karate, and my wife found a local school that we both joined and back down the rabbit hole I went.  I did a number of years of Shotokan then went on to do some Tai Chi.  I took another break as life got in the way then went back to do some Uechi  Ryu for a number of years.

The someone hit repeat on me. . . . I got back into shooting and gave up on the karate for a while.  And by getting back into it I mean I started taking some formal classes and got my NRA certification in a few things so I could teach shooting and help folks get their permits.  I also started back on the archery stuff with my younger daughter.  That is a bit on and off as we can, but still. . . . my 35 yr old bow still works well.

Now that I have been teaching shooting for a few years in my free time it seems like Karate is calling to me again bit by bit.  I really need to set aside time to get back into my kata work for the styles I know.   I still have all my info from my karate days, videos of the kata, and more notes than you can imagine on it.  I had my own book I wrote along the way on how to do everything I was learning. . . .


I guess I will always be hooked on the martial arts of one form or another. . . may as well stop fighting it and get back into my karate. . . .

No comments: