Sunday, January 2, 2011

Auto Ordinance 1911 review

Auto Ordinance 1911




OK I got a chance to get the new Gov 1911 down to the range to try it out. The short story, I think I have found a new favorite gun!

The 1911 Gov by Auto Ordinance is a no frills standard GI gun with a seven round mag. The one I have is parkerized with plastic grips.

She shoots well if maybe a bit low at 25 yards. I will have to go a few more times before I can tell if it is me or the gun. The sights are small so it takes a bit of getting use to.

I started with standard Winchester white box ball ammo and she ran great. All on the paper, most low but one in the 10 ring. . .. had to love that. After 20 rounds of ball I put 20 rounds of Winchester white box hollow points through it and she still ran fine.

After a total of 80 rounds or so I called it a day. . . It was an outdoor range in MA on New Years eve after all so it was a bit cold and we did have 6+ inches of snow on the ground to get through to the targets. . . . but a great day !

Can’t wait to put a few more rounds through it and see if I need to adjust the sights a bit. I have to say this is a great gun as far as I am concerned. A great start to the 1911 family. I think this will make a great carry gun once I get use to it and get it sighted in. I am glad I got it and highly recommend it to anyone looking for an affordable 1911.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought a Rock Island Armory 1911 a few years ago that shot pretty low when I first bought it. I worked on the sights some, but after about 300 or 400 rounds, the gun started getting good and broken in and the POI started coming up a bit.

My point is, don't be too hasty in adjusting the sights or as the gun breaks in you may end up with it shooting a little high...which is more difficult to adjust out with GI sights than a gun that's shooting low.

JD said...

Thanks for the heads up Sailorcurt. I was going to wait a few range trips to make sure it was not me but now I will be sure to put enough rounds through it too = )

OK, now I have an excuse, I HAVE to go put more rounds down range to break it in. . . .