Friday, December 4, 2009

Very Emotional Day

I spent today at the dedication of a building in my Dad's name. My Dad was a doctor who helped to set up the Impaired Physicians program in Maine. He was the medical director of the program for something like 13 years.

Today they dedicated a building in his name and my mother and I along with the family were invited there for the event. It was a very emotional day. I had more than one person come up to me to tell me how he saved them from addicting. I was told by a few how he saved their life. How do you respond to that? I thanked them for the stories and it was very emotional.

I got to listen to a few more stories of how he helped so many and his work on the program at the lunch they had. I then gave my own speech about Dad and it went OK - they laughed at my two jokes and sounded like they meant it and I got a standing ovation at the end.

Mom and I had a great day all around and it is still sinking in. All I can say is WOW. I knew he had done a lot and help a bunch of folks, but it is totally different when they come up to you and tell you all about it. . . .

No comments: