Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Military Service

I have to admit I have not served, and I regret that deeply. I wish I had the guts and maturity when I got out of college to have joined some branch and done my time in service to the country. I also admit that as a parent I am scared my kids will do that and I will do my best to support them if they do.

What really is starting to piss me off is schools are starting to say if we have a career fair and the military shows up then we need some anti-military folks there too. WTF? They are not there to offer jobs, just push their political point that the military is bad. This is going on in Milton MA right now. They are going to refuse to allow the military at the job fairs if they can’t have the anti group “Milton for Peace”. See they don’t see the military as a job but as a political group. They say the anti’s have to be there to show alternative to the military as a carrier. . . um. . . What? Isn’t that what all the other carrier folks in the room are doing? You can talk to the military, the colleges, and others there all offering you a future with them. . . . what do the anti’s offer except hate?

Sorry, this makes me sick. We are heading for the 1960’s again and all that BS that did nothing but hurt this country again. The military is a carrier, it is not political. Kids know the choices without political groups trying to convince them the military is bad. The kids that serve are the best we have. They put the country first. They are the ones to put it all on the line for the rest of us to keep us save and the schools think this should be fought against.

I am at the point that I don’t buy it any more. The schools say they support the troops and respect them then they turn around and do anything they can to stop the kids from learning about the military. Yes, they think the troops are great, just don’t go and be one. . . seems a bit hollow to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could not agree more with your view point! This is absolutely disgusting, there is honor in wanting to serve your country. There is honor in being able to speak out for things you believe in, even if it opposes someone elses view. This is part of our right as an American of which we owe an enormous debt of gratitude to our military for protecting and fighting for for our freedom. The military is a a career to a brave few and to have a group in there to protest, is ridiculous. This is not about bringing in an opposing viewpoint, it is about pushing a political agenda. It is time that the majority stands up to this BS and not continue to let the minority speak for us. Milton is my home town, I grew up here and attended public schools here. I am embarassed for this town for these decisions that are made because of a few.

Anonymous said...

Milton for Peace? Is there a Milton for War group? Does anyone on the planet favor anything but peace? It's like saying "Milton for Air". Are these people in Afghanistan, Somolia and Iraq at the moment or are they trying to prevent a war between Milton and Canton?