Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Weekend work

Other than the quick trip to the range with the wife and older daughter most of my weekend was spent working on my “new” workshop. The addition to the house is done, Mom/Nana is moved in and unpacking so I have a cellar filled with my Dad’s tools and mine all mixed up and piled in boxes. . . well, not any more.

I got my adjustable bench built first. This thing is a take off of something I saw in a Home Handyman write up years ago. I put together my work bench so that there was a space in the middle of it. I then built in a way to put an adjustable height platform there. . . you move the dowels to the right spot and put the counter top back on then put your tool on it and the work surface of the tool (say router table or miter saw) lines up with the rest of the work bench so you don’t have to balance your project as you run it through the tool. Kinda cool no? I will try to remember to get a few pics tonight to add here. . .

The second part was the back breaking part. . . I had a crawl space that the builder put cement in but it was not level.. . . I spend the time bent over in the (tiny height wise) space to build up a platform so it would be level and I could use it for storage. Dad had one heck of a shop and lots of stuff that is cool to have but you don’t use that often like plumbing and drywall stuff. You don’t use it often but when you need it boy is it great to have around. . .

Now I just have a shelf I want to build in then I should have most of the shop done and put away. . . when it is all done I want the middle to be empty so I can do my Karate forms and maybe hang my heavy bag in the middle for a good work out. I have not been to the gym in years and need to get back to more of a workout than just a few karate classes a week. The kids will also get some training in hand to hand once I am done with it. I got the younger daughter into Karate but the older one is not interested. That is cool, but she will lean how to take care of herself or I don’t deserve the name DAD ya know? Next week will be the big test, my brother in law wants to build something for his prospecting trip to CA so I will be helping to build a dry washer in my shop. . . we will see how it goes. . .

No comments: